Monday, January 19, 2015

Books for Kids About Divorce

Recently I have seen a lot of posts on the online Mom's group I am part of that have talked about how they are going through a divorce. When I was a child my parents separated and then did end up getting divorced. While I can't imagine it being any other way, I do know that feeling that others understand what I am going through has always helped me. 

While my husband and I are not getting divorced, but he is a divorce attorney in Portland, Oregon and so he goes to court to do divorces so in combination of seeing him go to court and hearing about these other Mom's in my Facebook group currently going through a divorce I have been thinking about what the kids of divorce might need to help them through it. 

One thing that I immediately thought of is books. Kids love books, they are a good way for parents to be close to kids, demonstrate others feelings, develop empathy, and spark conversation. If a parent reads a book to a their child about divorce it is bound to bring up may things to talk about as well as demonstrate to the child that the parent understands it might be hard to the child to be going through this experience.

I have come up with a short list of books that I found that talk about divorce, but there are many more out there. 



No comments:

Post a Comment